dj_smokie

Thoughts before "going in"

I'm in Iraq right now and have been bored for the past 4 hours. And if you've ever been out here, you know that boredome is a million times worse than being busy.

My experiences here so far have caused me to question my mortality.

So, I pose this morbid question: If you were in a no-win situation where "fighting it to the end" would make no difference (ex: no rig in freefall, fall out of harness, etc) -- what would go through your mind? Let's say that you are at 10,000 ft when this SOL situation occurs.

Personally, I would know that I have about 50-60 seconds until impact. My first thought would be, "F*ck, I'm going to die. This really sucks." Then I think I would accept the fact that I'm going to die then try to enjoy my last skydive. At the point I start getting ground rush, I'd probably close my eyes and think, "This is it..." and burn in.

Of course, this is all speculation. We know from observation that the human will to survive is an incredible force. So, even while realizing that I am most certainly going to die, I might scream and flail the entire way down.

Thoughts?

Not sure it’s 100% applicable, but every time I’ve had to deal with emergency situations as a pilot or as a skydiver the first thing that goes through my mind is “shit, this isn’t really happening.” A few milliseconds (I’d like to think :-) after that I just start dealing with the problem. Nothing else. Thinking about dying and all the related emotional reactions happens afterward. I‘m guessing, therefore, that 50 seconds of freefall without a rig would generate a state of complete mental detachment from the situation.

Be safe in Iraq so you can come skydive with us!

Dean
www.wci.nyc

At the point I start getting ground rush, I'd probably close my eyes and think, "This is it..." and burn in.

Are you kidding? Enjoying the terminal ground rush in that situation would be the only thing worth doing. It would be fucking sensational.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Me - Strapped into the back seat of a helicopter, flying in the mountains ~300', loss of tail drive. Nothing I can do about it.

Thoughts - Fuck! This is gonna hurt (I was right). [:/]

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I've never been in that critical of a situation skydiving but I have gotten myself way outside my abilities before. Didn't get seriously injured but piled pretty hard-up to the very last second I thought I was going to be able to salvage it.

Firefighting there's been a time or two that looking back I think-I should have died, but during-it was going so fast I didn't have time to worry.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Been there, done that, don't want to repeat. (But kind of did)

Partial malfunction, cutaway, pull, nothing, look at end of ripcord to make sure pins there and threw away ripcord to make sure it was pulled, rolled up on my side to clear a PC hesitation and saw blue sky. Nothing left to do. I was hurrying, panicked, etc. working the problem. When I was done with what I thought or knew to do it was like a switch turned off. When I gave up I immediately became calm, thinking "Reserve total I guess I'm dead." Was waiting to hit. Then looked down. I was going to land in a bull dozered pile of trees and brush on land being cleared across the street from the airport and behind some building. I thought "I'm going to go straight to the bottom of that. I wonder how long it will take them to find me." Then got opening shock on my round reserve. Nothing I was doing got it out. 300' AGL at terminal. And yes ground rush is intense that low.

Total time after panic switch turned off was only about 5-7 seconds. About 13-14 seconds from cutaway to opening.

Looked up, thought " I'm alive" Looked down and was heading for power lines crossing the property and thought "I'm going to die!" Had enough time to turn 180 degrees, miss the power lines and land in the brush pile I was going to hit in freefall.

Pretty fucked up emotionally for awhile, mainly the fact that I did everything right (cutaway decision by 1800', pull reserve by 1700') and still almost died. Jumped two weeks later (took that long to get repack). And was afraid of being afraid, but wasn't really afraid to jump.

That was in 1981 at about 80 jumps.

Rig was a prototype SST. Upon examination several small rigging errors but not sure what contributed. Top loop hung up, MA-1 rotated and spring went down by back. (from witnesses above.) That's when I decided to become a rigger.

Never really have heard about this calming reaction. I went from panic to completely calm in an instant. Not sure how the brain chemistry could work that fast.

"Kind of did" repeat was a PC in tow on a 2000' demo exit over a ski resort. No time to give up, was still working. Went into the trees without a fully open canopy. Main and reserve interferred with each other. Shattered tibia and ended up 40' up a tree, half way up a ski slope. Had to direct my own rope rescue with the local FD.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Never been in deep shit in the sky but riding bikes I've been confronted with the business end of a truck a time or two that should have been game over. Impending oblivion is a weird place to be, quite calm really, zen-like almost.

It's only after that you realise you should probably empty the adrenalin filling your underpants before you go anywhere.

i'd never give up...

i'd wanna be on a load or two the NEXT day...

jmy

+ 1, my first thought would be, "are you fookin shittin me?" and then I'd cycle through any and every scenario I can think of to rectify the situation ...

PS: it might sound corny but more so then being on the next load, I'd be thinking to me self that me mum is going go be really bummed out if I bin it and die ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

O.K. This question I can speak to...

I had an "opportunity" to ride a ball of crap (spinning streamer)in from 500 feet. What went through my mind was, "Problem solving"! What can I do to straighten this crap out. I worked at it until the very last second. Then, just before impact, I pretended I was cliff diving from 90 feet and the water was hard. I was determined to survive. I punched at the ground just like I was trying to break the surface of water.

To make a very long story short, you fight to the end! You call in all your knowledge and skill to do whatever you can. Hopefully, luck is on your side. But, the key is to keep working the situation.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Well the best answer I can come up with is: a couple years ago I was running my ZX-9R thru a corner at 140 give or take (same curve I went thru 100's of time before) but this time the bike low sided out from under me...as I was sliding, I kept looking for the bike to regrip and stand up, But we seperated..as I was sliding thru the grass in the ditch, I watched my bike slam into a tree, the only 2 things went thru my head...first one...F*#@ my wife is going to kill me>>>and the other was ,this is gonna hurt...but than I slid past the tree and landed in the swamp...lol...all in all the wife was pissed

I used to have similar thoughts begin bored while flying commercial. "What would I do if the plane had a massive structural failure and I found myself outside the plane?"

My thoughts were like this:

1. At normal cruise altitude, I assume I would freeze or pass out pretty quickly. Would I regain consciousness at 10-5k or so?
2. At a lower alt, like 15-20k MSL, I would be left with plenty of time to contemplate my fate, and skydiving would give me a huge advantage compared to the rest of the passengers now hurtling toward the ground. I could try to do some RW with one of them, or just enjoy the last moments of my life. I might be screaming in, but not kicking.
3. I think Springsteen's scream/yell at the end of "State Trooper" would be a good one to emulate.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

thoughts????

track for trees...[:/]
preferably heavily leafed, not too much in the way of large branches:o:|

i'd never give up...

i'd wanna be on a load or two the NEXT day...

jmy

Ditto!

Track for trees or water or something soft if possible ;)

NEVER give up!!!

skydiving would give me a huge advantage compared to the rest of the passengers now hurtling toward the ground. I could try to do some RW with one of them

Now that is funny.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Or if you are in central Florida( Lake Wales) track for a nice soft marsh flatten out as much as you can and at the last possible second go into a stand position

Maybe you will only sink in up to your neck thats what I think I would try to do :|

When my parachute slammed into high voltage power lines at night and collapsed I was thinking “Oh fuck, crap, fuck, fuck, fuck. I fucked up. Fuck it, crap, I fucked up.” Then I hit the ground and was instantly paralyzed as the power lines slapped together, threatening to fall and electrocute me. My thoughts at that moment were “Oh fucking crap. I really fucked up but I might get out alive. Oh fuck I can’t move. Crap. Fucking crap.” It just went on like that until the power lines stopped slamming together and I recovered enough to move my arms and legs, then I just wanted to take off the jump suit and rig so they wouldn’t be cut by the rescue squad.

If I had a long time till impact, as in the lack of a rig scenario suggested here, I’d probably start by thinking how I had screwed up, then track like a madman straight at the ground wondering if it was going to hurt. As I got really close, the ground rush would probably make me smile, and I’d be thinking about how my heart was racing, and how friggin fast I was moving. Then in the last few seconds I’d be working super hard to stay streamlined so I slammed in fast enough so that hopefully it wouldn’t hurt.

I don’t know, that’s just my guess as to how it might play out. But heck, I might pee in my pants and cry all the way down.

I hope it never happens, but if it does I promise to write a mushy post about my innermost feelings and share it with the world…oh wait, I can’t do that. Crap.

Stay safe in Iraq.:)

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Or if you are in central Florida( Lake Wales) track for a nice soft marsh flatten out as much as you can and at the last possible second go into a stand position

Maybe you will only sink in up to your neck thats what I think I would try to do :|

Advise given years ago:

Moments before impact

1. Transition from belly to stand position
2. Cross legs at ankles
3. Raise arms above head in "Y" position.
4. Brace for impact.

The above steps will not save your life, but it will help the recovery team unscrew you from out of the ground!:P

My favorite was always:
"remove one shoe and stuff it down your pants"
"It won't help you, but it'll keep you busy, and the people who find you will wonder what the heck happened?"

That said, the been-there posts are probably some of the better reading on dz.com.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Several thoughts:

1) Pull into a style tuck and start turning style series' until I hit.

2) Track for a pond and flip onto my back just before impact, so the family won't have the trauma of a closed-casket funeral.

3) Fuck it! Head down dive at 250 mph so there's nothing left but mush.

skydiving would give me a huge advantage compared to the rest of the passengers now hurtling toward the ground. I could try to do some RW with one of them

Now that is funny.

Dude, I haven't choked while reading in a while. That was freaking hysterical. :D
Always be kinder than you feel.

Advise given years ago:

Moments before impact

1. Transition from belly to stand position
2. Cross legs at ankles
3. Raise arms above head in "Y" position.
4. Brace for impact.

The above steps will not save your life, but it will help the recovery team unscrew you from out of the ground!:P

Damn! Got me again!!!!!!!!!! :D
Always be kinder than you feel.

The single time I really thought I was going to die I fought it and tried to deny it for a few seconds....

Then I found myself trying to remember if I'd fed my dog before I went to the DZ....

Then I went into "fight it to the ground" mode because I couldn't remember and I didn't want her to go hungry.

There were hundreds of other reasons to fight through it... that one stepped up to the front.
Owned by Remi #?

Now that is funny.

Dude, I haven't choked while reading in a while. That was freaking hysterical. :D

yeah I was actualy laughing out loud just picturing some skydiver trying to do RW with one of the falling passengers that is one of the Funniest things I've ever read on here in eight years:D Oh I like the shoe Idea too:D

Track for trees or water or something soft if possible ;)

NEVER give up!!!

What if you fall out of your harness?

At that point I bet you would be thinking, fuck I wish I had brought a pistol with me.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan